Pu’u O Kona
- We will be starting up the road and bearing left, then up the side of the ridge.
- We’ll turn right on the top of the ridge and then follow it the Ko’olau summit. On the way we there are two rope sections. On the summit there is a nice spot to stop, take a break and have a snack.
- We turn right after the break spot and follow the summit to the top of the end of the Kuli’ou’ou trail.
- On the way to the Kuli’ou’ou summit there are two sections that are very dicey. In one section, you will head down a steep hill with no ropes and crumbly dirt. There are very few handholds and a fall here could mean a fall off of the summit.
- A little further up there is a another section where much of the dirt under the trail has been washed away. Follow the ribbons and stay to the right.
- The end of the Kulu’ou’ou trail is another good spot to take a break and have a snack.
- If you choose, you can head down the state trail which should save you about ½ hour, but you will miss a very nice part of this hike. If you reach this point and it is after 1:00, I would suggest you consider taking the state trail.
- Continue past the state trail along the summit, following the ribbons which will eventually take you down to the right onto a nice contour trail, crossing a dry stream and eventually to a steep down downhill which will take you back to the bottom on the state trail.
teep, narrow trail, precipitous